Exercise 36 : Causative Verbs
Use the correct form of the verb in parentheses in each of the following sentences.
- The teacher made Juan leave the room.
- Toshiko had her car repaired by a mechanic.
- Ellen got Marvin to type her paper.
- I made Jane call her friend on the telephone.
- We got our house to painted last week.
- Dr. Byrd is having the students write a composition.
- The policeman made the suspect lie on the ground.
- Mark got his transcripts to sent to the university.
- Maria is getting her hair to cut tomorrow.
- We will have to get the Dean to sign this form.
- The teacher let Al leave the classroom.
- Maria got Ed to wash the pipettes.
- She always has her car fixed by the same mechanic.
- Gene got his book published by a subsidy publisher.
- We have to help Janet to find her keys.
Exercise 37 : Relative Clauses
Combine the following individual sentences into single sentences with relative clauses.
- The last record which produced by this company became a gold record.
- Checking accounts that require a minimum balance are very common now.
- The professor whose you spoke yesterday is not here today.
- John whose grades are the highest in the school, has received a scholarship.
- Felipe bought a camera that has three lenses.
- Frank are who were nominated for the office of treasurer.
- The doctor is with a patient whose leg was broken in an accident.
- Jane is the woman Whose is going to China next year.
- Janet wants a typewriter whose self-corrects.
- This book that I found last week, contains some useful information.
- Mr. Bryant whose team has lost the game, looks very sad.
- James wrote an article whose indicated that he diskiled the president.
- The director of the program whose graduated from Havard University, is planning to retire next year.
- This is the book that I Have been looking for all year.
- William whose brother is a lawyer, want to become a judge.
Exercise 38 : Relative Clause Reduction
Reduce the relative clauses in the following senteces
- George is the man chosen to represent the committee at the convention.
- All of the money accepted has already been released.
- The papers on the table belong to Patricia.
- The man brought to the police station confessed to the crime.
- The girl drinking coffe, is Mary Allen.
- John’s wife, a professor, has written several papers on this subject.
- The man talking to the policeman, is my uncle.
- The book on the top shelf, is the one that I need.
- The number of students have been counted is quite high.
- Leo Evans, a doctor, eats in this restaurant every day.
Exercise 39 : Subjunctive
Correct the errors in the following sentences, if there are no errors, write correct
- The teacher demanded that the student leave the room
- It was urgent that he call her immediately
- It was very important that we delay discussion
- She intends to move that the committee suspends discussion on this issue
- The king decreed that the laws take effect the following month
- I propose that you should stop this rally
- I advise you to take the prerequisites before registering for this course
- His father prefers that he attends a different university
- The faculty stipulated that the rule be abolish
- She urged that we find another alternative